I like to use a 'pillow-case' facing when I have enough fabric, preferably to match the backing. You can see that I'm not particular about what I use for backing -- I have yards of that brown-and-white print. It was given me some years ago in a bag of fabric someone didn't want. If I don't have enough fabric for a pillow-case facing, I will make one out of strips instead -- generally without mitred corners. Life's too short to fuss with mitering!!
The top piece you see there is "Big Sky Country", and right underneath that is "Rural Rhythms". The third piece down (see that bit of blue sticking out?) is one I set aside several months ago because I was having trouble with it. I didn't like the way the ribbon I was using seemed to pouch out. I removed the ribbon, densely free-motion stitched the underlying quilt -- and put it away. I'd dyed more ribbon, but was still worried about how it would lie on the top.
Sunday, I decided "Enough is ENOUGH!" and I dug the piece out. I worked on it most of the day; after adding the ribbon, I went back into the trees and the bush on the lower right with a bit of paint and pen to add some texture. Here's what it looks like now, facing applied and waiting for a label so I can finish the back:
|Waiting for the Train (C) 2014|
|Detail - water and rushes|
|Detail - truck and rushes|
I accented the ribbon with a bit of tapestry yarn. Then, in addition to having 'firmed up' the underlying quilt with dense stitching, I applied a very light dusting of Bo-Nash bonding powder on them and pressed the heck out of them. They still have texture but they lie flat and don't 'pouch out' from the surface. I'm happy with it at last! (For the original inspirational photo, click HERE.)
And one thing actually got finished yesterday:
|"Little Sheep" Pin Pillow|
Design: One of the "Little Sheep Virtues" from Little House Needleworks. Size: 6" square before stuffing. Stuffed with 100% wool batting from stash. :-)
'Scuse me now...I have some backings to finish!