It might have taken me almost a month to post an update but, Gentle Readers, I hope you'll find it worth the wait!
For a change, let's start with my progress on the work for Art in the Park 2022 -- which is to tour B.C., starting at the Revelstoke Visual Arts Centre, in 2023.
You might recall from my last post that I'd made several unsuccessful samples for ideas I'd had re: a "meadow" piece, and had finally returned to my passion for improv and "artful log cabins" in the style of Katie Pasquini Masopust. Now that piece is finished but for trimming, facing and attaching a hanging sleeve:
As a reminder, here's the inspirational photo:
Next up, another "flora" inspiration: a plant called "False Hellebore" that grew in profusion in the area, but though pretty, is poisonous. Here are some photos I took in situ:
I had a vision of something 3-D. Along came a wonderful episode of The Quilt Show featuring artist Mary McCauley, who (by happenstance) makes pieces that resemble "pop-up" books. Who knew?! The show got me excited, so I bought her book -- in PDF format because the CAD exchange is out of this world. At least this way I avoided shipping and printed off only essential pages.
I then tried samples in paper, using recycled file folders as Mary recommends:
|Sample 1 - closed
|Et voila! Sample 1 opened
|Sample 2 closed
|Sample 2 opened
Ah well...neither of these would give me the look I wanted: 3 sculpted leaves meeting around a centre base, like the ones in the photos. Sigh.
Then I did a bit of internet snooping and found a product that would enable me to mold leaves in the way I wanted -- and maybe this would also enable me to hand-stitch them onto a corded base. And it's fusible! Hmmm. The product is "Inn-spire-Heat Set Moldable Non-woven Interfacing" and -- joy of joys!! -- I could get it in CANADA -- from a shop in Winnipeg, Manitoba: KTR Sewing Centre. Who knew?! There's a YouTube video on how to use it. I ordered two sheets -- despite the flat rate shipping which was almost equal to their cost -- and lo and behold! Because the actual shipping was significantly less expensive, this wonderful shop refunded me the difference!! It arrived last week; I've yet to return to sampling...so stay tuned!
Meanwhile...I moved on to a third piece, from the "forest" inspirational photos -- a section of fallen log:
This one is going to be full of texture. I began with a simply wonderful commercially-produced background fabric, which I quilted with straight lines. Next, I painted some used dryer sheets (courtesy of my daughter and one of her friends), and applied them to the surface with hand-stitch, using #12 perle cotton.
I decided to move slowly down the piece, applying all the surface embellishment in one section before moving on to the next. To this end, I auditioned (and have now begun to add) some seed beads:
Because the fabric isn't easy to stitch through (2-3 layers depending on how I work it out, using threads of varying thickness), it's going to take me some time, but I think it will be well worth it in the end! Stay tuned for more progress!
It's been sitting idle since just before Canadian Thanksgiving, because I've also been working on this:
For a young woman who I'm told likes to bake -- this is one of a series called the "Kitchen Counter" series from Hands On Designs. The full caption will read, "Life is short; lick the bowl". Great fun! (I'm using my choice of DMC floss from my stash, plus a 30-count "mystery evenweave", also from stash.
No matter; it's going to be a cozy covering for TV watching, movie watching, reading, game-playing etc., and I hope it gets well-used!