While I await Mother Nature's realization that it's Spring in this part of the world, this is pretty much the rhythm of my days:
- Up in the morning, journalling (2-3 pages almost every day), with coffee -- hot and black.
- On to the computer for the weather, the news (less of this nowadays) and something to listen to while I knit on one of an assortment of projects. Right now these include:
- A "Dissent Cowl" in bright blue and yellow Blue-Faced Leicester (BFL) light-weight (almost fingering) -- in recognition of the courage of the Ukrainian people, who have dissented against Russia's unprovoked invastion. In my last post I'd barely cast on, but now I've finished 2 of the three sections of this top-down cowl, and am making my way through the "bib" section. It's mosaic knitting, which I love, and there is a rhythm to it, but my-oh-my! It requires concentration!
- My "Sock-Knitter's Pullover" -- using left-over balls of sock yarns, mainly in blues and purples, with some pinks. I've split for the sleeves now, and am on the mindless knit of the body, which is a straight 13" or 14" -- before a 2" ribbing at the bottom. So far, this project has consumed 3 1/2 left-over balls of sock yarn, each weighing about 40 grams. I have a basketful to go...and probably more, once I get to the sleeves! and...
- As of this morning, I'm trying yet again to awaken my sock-knitting mojo. I cast on for the April Challenge in Ravelry's Socks from Stash group. This month's theme is "Birds, bees, flowers, trees..." -- in other words, anything to do with nature. I've chosen the "Cornflower Socks" pattern by Karen Scott and a ball of ONline Linie 3 Supersocke 100 in an intense purple colour -- no surprises there, eh?! 😉
Breakfast over, I get dressed (if I'm not already) and move into the sewing studio. where the focus continues to be on comfort quilts for Ukrainian refugees. The Blankets of Love program has taken a pause from its usual focus, and is now joining the effort in this. I've a local rep, with whom I've been in touch; now I have a deadline to meet! I'm going to be in town April 13 for a couple of appointments; she's agreed to meet up with me and take whatever I can give her in the way of finished quilts.
I'm going to include the two small ones I showed in my last post, simply because a child might need one that size, and I've finished the first of my blue-and-yellow ones -- the Double Irish Chain. No longer draped over the chair -- it's been sandwiched, quilted, bound and washed! It measures 41" x 60" and will be a fine lap- or comfort-sized piece. You can see that my Sewing Studio Supervisor has inspected the binding and approves... 😉
Yesterday I finished assembling the "Disappearing 4-Patch" that I mentioned last time too. Brita, the "Questioning Quilter", offered an infinitesimal number of options for arranging the blocks.
You start by making wide strip sets -- a 5 1/2" strip of each of two colours, cut on WOF (Width Of Fabric) and sewn together. You cross-cut these at 5 1/2" and assemble simple four-patch blocks. Here's my stack of 36, each squaring up at 10 1/2":
Then...you 'slice and dice' at equal distances around the seams:
And you re-arrange the pieces (9 per block) in a manner "pleasing to you". I took Brita's advice and made 18 yellow "flowers" and 18 blue "flowers" -- each of these blocks ends up 9 1/2" square. You take 4 of these units and arrange them, again, in a way that catches your eye. I liked this arrangement -- shown on my design wall:
Then, when you've made units of four blocks each, you arrange these into the top -- with 3 rows of 3 large blocks each. This is when you discover even more secondary patterns...and try to keep your eyes from crossing! 😆 Below: four large blocks -- two by two -- on my design wall. See what I mean?!
In the end the piece got too large for my design wall and ended up on the "design bed" in my guest room. It's fully assembled now; my next task is to piece the backing out of the remaining fabric and go from there. I decided the appearance of a border (see the left side and bottom, above) was sufficient; I won't add another border. Before quilting, it measures 55" x 55".
It's done on a piece of "mystery fabric" with a fine count, and except for the two outer blue borders, I used 1 strand over 2 stitches.
Brenda will get a different version of the same piece. She refers to herself as 'the Sampler Stitcher' so I am inclined to make hers into a small pillow, which will be easier to ship than something in a frame.