This week, I blame it mainly on the heat -- and the insects!
Last Monday it was wasps, which I found when I tried to open an old shed with unpredictable sliding doors and was greeted with a couple of stings for my efforts.
By Wednesday a.m. I knew the nest was thoroughly dealt with -- and my neighbour had pointed out a second (old, also dead) nest in the same shed -- on the ceiling! I've shut the doors on that building, and will return in the fall (after the first frost) to remove all traces!
Friday it was ants! This is my own fault, I guess. Sigh. I love my peonies, but will have to resist bringing any into the house in future. I've always shaken off the blossoms to rid them of ants before bringing them in, but this year I included buds...and I guess there were critters in there...
Anyway, they are now dealt with too, thanks to ant powder and floor scrubbing and the judicious placement of ant traps for any malingerers!
In between, I did manage to pick a crop of Saskatoons from a nearby farmer's berry patch (over a dozen cups -- some now in muffins and some shared with my next-door neighbour) and some of my own raspberries (4 1/2 cups now in the freezer) and to discover (with that neighbour's help) that yes, indeed, I needed new bathroom taps, as the current ones -- leaking badly -- cannot be repaired. A new set has been purchased...but remains to be installed.
Sew what happened in the Sewdio?!
Not much... but I managed to get very close to finishing a x-stitch Christmas Stocking (only the details left now, and then construction), to finish a simple shawl (a commission)...
And to quilt and bind "Wall":
|Wall (C) 2017|
Hand-stamped and marked cotton and linen;
commercial cotton; cotton floss.
Machine quilted and hand-stitched.
|Wall - Detail|
I decided to quilt it 'in the ditch' with "invisible" thread (I used a clear mono-polyester from Superior Thread on the top and Superior's "Bottom Line" in black on the back)...and then added a few lines of running stitch (which go through to the back) using 3 strands of cotton floss, picking up the red in the 'wall'. I finished it with a very narrow red binding.
Next week when I go into Red Deer, I'll take the piece with me and see how it might look mounted on a 12" square canvas. If I like the effect and if I can find it, I'll also audition it then dropped into a black shadow box frame.
Thinking about "Wall" and my recent tree rubbings, I've come up with an idea for a second piece...so stay tuned!
To finish off the week, I went to Sylvan Lake yesterday after church, and finalized the new selection of my work Denise wanted for her Bonavista Fine Art Gallery. (The above link will take you to "my" gallery on the website.)
I love the way she takes such care to show off the work of each of her artists! This is how mine looked when I saw it yesterday afternoon:
You might recognize some of those pieces as I've posted about them over the years. The ones with large 'statements' posted next to them toured overseas when I was part of the 15 x 15 International Group. Both of us agreed that it was great for viewers to see those stories along with the pieces.
And now, because I still can, I'm linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday, and going back into the Sewdio to work on that new idea. Have a great week, everyone!