The work was based on this photo:
|By a road near Northbow Lodge|
Here's the piece I made:
|Sentinels (C) 2013|
And here's how I began to manipulate it for each of three possible design ideas:
First, I turned the photo of the piece into a 'contour drawing' with my photo editing program:
I traced this onto a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 tracing paper -- just the main lines I could see -- using a Sharpie (R) marker. I copied this tracing paper image onto plain paper, and enlarged it slightly. From the enlarged drawing I isolated a section and enlarged that:
Second, I found a detail photo of the original piece:
I converted it to 8-bit grey-scale. I know...not much difference! ;-) It was the snow, after all!
From there I converted it into a "contour drawing", isolated a section of that and enlarged it:
And then another:
I think all three have potential for recreation in fabric and thread, to differing degrees. I've sent the three 'Ideas' off to EB and await her feedback.
On other fronts, I've been hand-stitching a piece intended for the Spotlight Silent Auction fund-raiser at the SAQA conference in Portland (I have to have it sent off within 10 days), and finished the March block for the "Zen" Block-of-the Month. The latter was once again an experience that was not particularly relaxing...the flimsy background fabric (provided with the pattern) argued with the less flimsy dark and medium prints, and only a good spritz with "Best Press" made the block lie nicely when it was finished.
|Silent auction piece - WIP|
Auditioning stitch placement
|March "Zen" BOM: "Coxey's Camp"|
On the knitting front, my entry for the March challenge in the "Socks From Stash" Ravelry group is going well...I am nearing the toe on the first sock...and the wedding prayer shawl is proceeding apace: by the end of today I'll have finished 7.5 of 25 pattern repeats (each is 24 rows), keeping me on track for the end of May...
Now I think I'll link this up with Nina Marie's Friday post (because I still can!) and take a nap...!