Not counting the freak snow storm in Calgary in September, this weekend we've seen the First Snow...the one that has not only arrived, but also is ongoing as I type and is fixing to stay around.
I've decided that even if the winter ahead is as long and cold and snowy as the winter of 2013-2014, this time 'round I'm not going to let it get the best of me!
This year, I'm ready. I've several coping methods up my sleeve(s); to wit --
- Lots to do in the sewdio -- Christmas knitting, my 15 x 15 challenge(s), some major family-and-friend commissions, and the chance I'll get to be one of the new students in Elizabeth Barton's Master Class.
- My second year as a SAQA Western Canada Co-Rep, with the objective of learning how to host an online webinar/conference sometime in March.
- And last but not least...
The Ideal Single Female Home-owner's Winter Work-out.
Optimum Conditions for the ISFHWW:
- Light, steady snow;
- Little or no breeze;
- Moderate winter temps -- -10 to -15 C at the coldest and little or no wind chill;
- A layer of at least 6" of the white stuff, preferably powder.
- Not just a deck or sidewalk that needs clearing, but also a driveway -- preferably double-wide.
Optimum Equipment for the ISFHWW:
|Sturdy, light-weight shovel|
|Sturdy, warm boots|
|Warm, wind-proof jacket|
|Warm pants - even layered with tights|
|Warm hat - *must* cover ears|
Optional: protective eye-wear
*My personal favourite: layering dollar-store gloves under cozy hand-made finger-less ones -- either hand knit or, like these, made from recycled cashmere sweaters. I bought my pair at a recent "pop-up" market at Latitude 53 in Edmonton...Maker: Lynne Fortowsky of the Sashiko Studio. Love 'em!
Best of all, when you've spent an hour or so outdoors shovelling, you can come in for a hot cup of Dark Roast...and some cozy stitching...
|Shown here: finishing the binding on a Magic Tiles|
quilt for baby Kieran James Rennie Ward
P.S.: For Inquiring Minds: these pieces are now finished:
|See You in the Spring (C) 2014|
|Tipsy Autumn (C) 2014|
Five minis will be delivered to Gracie D's tomorrow. Tell your friends!
Happy to see you'll be ready.
Lovely mini's...winter is here and time to settle in and enjoy :)
Sounds like you are well prepared. I do like your plans of the post snow shovelling!
Post a Comment