However, there have been photos...and knitting, too!
I finished the hoodie for my husband's cousin's first grandchild, a boy -- a couple of weeks old now, Baby C:
I've almost finished Niven, a capelet, from the Berroco book of Nora Gaughan patterns, #13 -- knit in Lustra. Once it's finished I'll post a photo -- I promise! This one is in a discontinued colour (a hot pink) and will be a store sample at The Crafty Lady -- my first store sample!
It's a pretty little thing and once I have it back from the store, I think I'll enjoy it 'round my shoulders of a cool evening.
On the quilting front, I continue to sample techniques.
The current project? A 10" x 10" that must be mounted on stretched canvas for a silent auction donation to the Lacombe Arts Foundation -- due at the end of August. The tree theme continues, and this week I have been playing with acrylic felt, the embellisher machine, and the heat gun.
I've been trying to recreate the fungus on the mountain ash (aka Rowan) in my back yard:
I thought acrylic felt might work...embellished with yarn and then burned away with the heat gun. I tried a couple of colourways in my samples:
|Yarn felted to acrylic felt, burned away|
And here it is in a different colourway:
But it didn't matter...In the end, I knew I needed something 'lacy' but with a softer hand, less 'plastic'. I can use these samples, cut into pieces, for another project.
I turned to water-soluble fabric, and a combination of hand and machine stitching, and have begun my next sample:
I free-motion machined a pattern drawn from samples of the fungus, outlined and enlarged, and have now begun to embroider over the machine stitching using DMC floss, 2 strands, in different greens. Beads will be added to achieve a 'dewy' effect...and then the water-soluble fabric will be dissolved to leave (it's hoped!) a lacy, beaded fabric that can be overlaid on the background -- a nubby olive green silk.
This will be linked to The Needle and Thread Network's WIP Wedneday. I'm off to the shop tomorrow...
Ta-ta for now!
Been wondering where you were, Margaret. Great idea to free motion quilt and then hand stitch over. Will be curious how it holds together when you dissolve the backing.
Love the way you work through an idea! And I sure do understand the preference of being outside, I love my back yard, more than any holiday or trip to anywhere else...
So interesting! I hadn't heard of using acrylic felt before. I'll be curious to see how your new sample turns out!
I like the burning of the felted felt..interesting effects you are getting. Can't wait to see what happens with soluble stabilizer.
I am very interested in how this turns out as I am planning to use water-soluble fabric in a new project I've started. I like the idea of hand stitching and beading over machine stitching.
Post a Comment