Of the miniatures, I brought home five. Of the larger pieces, despite their positive reception, I brought home all but one, and it was the smallest of the group (11" x 14").
Today changed that.
I went over to Stettler (as far east of Mirror as Lacombe is west -- 43 km. or about 26-and-a-bit miles) to take my Husqvarna Lily 555 sewing machine in to the LQS there -- Caroline's Homespun Seasons* -- for a spa treatment after a year of very hard work.
(*This is a Facebook link; there is no up-to-date home page.)
From there I went down the street to the Cabinet of Curiosities gallery and framing shop to see Andrea, who cuts my mats. I was hoping to get some more made, and I wanted to show her the left-over miniatures so she could see how great her mats looked.
|Sentinels (c) 2013|
- Five of the eight left-over miniatures are now on display in her gallery:
- She has a client to whom she wants to show "Sentinels" -- a branch office of a utility that's just opening in Stettler, to deal with power lines. She asked me to send over a photo; I did. She's meeting with the company 'guy in charge' this week to talk about art for their new office walls...and will include my photo if she thinks it will work...So there's a potential opportunity to show it to him in person after I return from the SAQA Conference...
I have another dozen mats on order, to be picked up mid-May.
And...she invited me to participate in Stettler's Art Walk (June 8-9 outdoors -- I'm already committed to going to Edmonton); and to their fall Art and Craft Fair (end of September, indoors -- part of Alberta's 'Culture Days' -- which I can do.)
My post-conference schedule now looks like this:
- May 31: finish my first 15x15 challenge piece;
- June 6: SAQA Western Canada Parlour Meeting and deadline for "The Burgess Shale Project" piece (24" x 24");
- June - August: 'self-directed summer school';
- Mid- July: Consider entering "Encore: Art in the Park" in Lacombe.
- June - August: prepare a piece to mount on stretched canvas for "Encore: 10" x 10": The Unknown Artist" event in Lacombe - at the Memorial Centre (same venue as the latest show and sale) September 12-29 -- the Lacombe Culture and Harvest Festival. These pieces are donations to be auctioned off with proceeds to the Lacombe Arts Endowment Fund.
- June - August: review inventory and prepare new pieces for sale in Stettler at the end of September.
My short-term work life has exploded -- and it's all wonderful! (Can you see me grinning?)