Isn't she lovely? I made the hat at left with THIS FREE PATTERN and Bravo Crazy Color yarn in a darker colour-way featuring deep blue, wine and a hint of gold.
As you can tell from the photo on the right, I'm no model, and it's hard to photograph oneself! LOL! However, it'll give you some idea of the colour (#85 in the Bravo Crazy Color scheme of things).
And I've been knitting away on the fingerless mittens I mentioned a wee bit ago, a birthday gift for my friend B. I've finished the one for the right hand (this pattern is specific) and the cuff for the left, and I'm just about to start the gusset for the left thumb. Although I've not washed and blocked it, you can get a good idea how it looks in this photo:. Isn't that cuff simply too pretty?
The pattern is Short & Sweet Fingerless Mitts by Anne Sahakian, and the yarn is Elann Collection Peruvian Baby Silk -- a luscious blend of baby alpaca and silk -- in Raspberry. The ribbing for the top and thumb isn't tricky, but it takes a bit of juggling to do it on double-pointed needles!
And for those who may be curious, here's the results of my 'snowverdye' experiment. I laid all 4 pieces (2 large, 2 small) on my cutting table here:
A close-up of one of the large pieces (muslin):
And the two small pieces (cotton sheeting - originally white):
As these pieces will be cut/torn into strips for sunsets and sunrises, for the most part, I'm very happy with the results. The colour reminds me of the inside of a fresh peach, and I managed to achieve enough pink amid the scarlet and golden yellow.
The neat thing about dyeing, for me, is that I do it in very small batches, and even if I use a recipe, it's rare to get pieces that turn out the same way twice. That bit of mystery keeps me coming back to it.
I think my next experiment is going to be with a natural dye -- for the first time. Christmas Day an anonymous giver left a package of goodies on my back stoop -- including two packets of black Ceylon tea. Now, I'm not much of a tea-drinker; I've tried it, and it's OK. But two large packets! Then I read arlee's blog, with a link to Wendy's blog with a link to a list of plants for eco-printing. If you scroll down far enough you'll find this entry: "Black tea, dried leaves". Well, duh! Now to do some reading on the how-to (as in, how to get the best results, how to prep the fabric etc.)...and go for it. Yes, I know it'll give me blacks, browns, and perhaps greys -- and these will be perfect for skies, gravel roads and bush...I see more landscapes in my future!