Friday, January 25, 2013

Finishes on a Friday

It's been a very full week -- and I've managed to finish some things...or at least, get through Step "A" so I can start Step "B".

First, I finished all the "B" blocks for Easy Street, and decided to pin a few up on my design wall so you could see how electric this quilt is going to be:



Isn't that wild?!  Yes, there's a lot of green...but I'm thinking the overall effect is going to be quite wonderful. Can you identify the blocks versus the setting triangles without going cross-eyed?!  Assembly begins...well...maybe this weekend.

Second, I finished some snow-dyeing... sort of.   I started yesterday with a single tub and two colours -- 'Scarlet' and 'Golden Yellow' (Dharma Trading Co. dyes).


Alas, the results were less than inspiring.   The scarlet 'ate' all the yellow, and very little gradation showed.  There were large gaps of ...not much.

So.  I decided to 'snowverdye' and put the dyed, dried fabric back into the bottom of the tub, covered it with a fresh layer of snow and applied only 'Golden Yellow' dye:


Then I forgot about it. Yep.  Clean forgot, as I was involved in another project this afternoon.  Then I went for my jog.  Then I got on the phone.  Then...oy!  The snow had pretty well melted entirely by the time I rinsed it and put it in the drier.  We shall see...but I think it may be okay.  My Dyeing Angels may have just been looking out for me.  One can only hope!

Third, I finished "Sentinels" yesterday; tonight, during Bonnie's Quilt Cam, I'll be sewing down the facing.  Then all that will be left to do is apply the label and a sleeve.  Here's what it looked like with the facing applied and pressed, pinned to my design wall:

Sentinels (c) 2013 - 16" x 27.5"

Here are a couple of detail shots:



I really like the little puddling of shadow near the fence (right side) and the tufts of prairie grass added to the left side.

The next couple of pieces won't be as large, but I'm gearing up for a larger square piece -- with a 24" square requirement -- "Choia" for the SAQA Western Canada's "Burgess Shale Project".  Like the SAQA Visioning Project, there's a private blog set up for the artists participating to share their work and discuss their process and progress, but I'll be posting a bit about it here too.  It's due by June 6th.  I hear tell that a couple of the participating artists have finished their pieces already (!)...but I never met a deadline I didn't love...  ;-)  Stay tuned!

P.S. Linking this to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Friday"...check it out and see who's working on what!

7 comments:

elle said...

The colours are great in your Easy Street. I hope I get some snow dye time this winter. And the Sentinel quilt looks really very good. I luv the stitching and the lines.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I really like how Easy Street is going together. Great colors. and the wallhanging is wonderful

Suzanna said...

Really like how the sentinels turned out...

Wil said...

There is never an ugly piece of fabric. If you don't like it, you can always add more to it :-).

Margarita Korioth said...

LOVE your *Sentinels* piece. The colors, the design and the stitching, every detail!!

diannajessie said...

You have been busy. Looks like the snow dyeing is going to turn out good. I also like your Sentinels piece its got great depth.

Kathie Briggs said...

Margaret, I do like the blue shadows very much very much. You used the photo for your inspiration but the finished Sentinels is your own lovely creation.

I think I may have to try some snow dyeing myself after seeing your results.