In the midst of new-year-student fever in September, I hooked into the Cross-stitchers' forum on Ravelry, and joined a fall Stitch-along (SAL) and swap. For the SAL, I'm supposed to be working on the Pacific Northwest Sampler I started early last year for my brother-in-law and his wife's 25th anniversary (they don't know about it, and it's only 1/2 finished. The anniversary was last December. Sigh.) Haven't touched it yet. However, I have managed to fnish a dear little biscornu (type of pin-cushion) for the swap (shhhhh---don't point anyone in the Rav group to this blog; it's supposed to be a surprise).
I posted about the start of this some weeks back (September 19th, actually)...using the free pattern for a fall-themed biscornu from The Victoria Sampler. Well, I chose my own colours from a selection of thread samples in Autumn tones given to me by my friend, Jeannette, plus a ball of #8 'Pearl Cotton' by Valdani in a variegated colourway for the hardanger centre.
I then proceeded to mangle the design by stitching five wave-and-heart motifs on each side instead of four. I discovered this about 3/4 of the way around the border, so just kept going rather than take it all out. Of course, this meant the centre motif became a rectangle, rather than a square, and the hardanger around it had to be altered. That worked fine -- till I came to do the cutwork that hardanger requires. I had to improvise, cut too much, and had to improvise some more.
P.S. A big "Thank You!" to the folks at Violarium.com for their superb biscornu finishing instructions!
You did a wonderful job! I love the Autumn colors.
What fine detailed work!
Post a Comment