Today I've been squeezing lemons.
Monday I got my 'back-up for my back-up" sewing machine ready to go with free-motion quilting on my SAQA 2015 Benefit Auction piece.
Today? Couldn't get the tension right for love nor money!
Solution? Make do with 'regular motion' quilting. But...my walking foot (which I usually use for RMQ) doesn't fit my double back-up machine...and that machine didn't come with it's own.
"Okay, Lord", I prayed, "If I'm meant to contribute this piece to the 2015 Benefit Auction, You're going to have to help me with this!!"
I cleaned all the dust bunnies out from under the needle plate and around the bobbin.
I put on a new needle (90/14 Superior Top-stitch).
I filled a bobbin with Bottom Line thread and inserted it.
I installed a fresh spool of King Tut thread -- to match the grass -- on the spool stand and threaded the machine...
And...by the end of the morning, all was quilted -- except for the tree, which was fused...
|Yellow tree...under construction...|
I went for lunch with a friend...Thus fortified, I came home and quilted the tree. Then I trimmed the piece to 12 1/2" square, ready for facing:
|"Yellow Tree" (C) 2015|
And a detail shot...
|"Yellow Tree" detail (C) 2015|
All of this was done with a conventional foot, feed dogs up, no free- motion in evidence. I'm thinking I'll be doing more work this way. Keeps my blood pressure under control! ;-)
That finished, I can get back to blocking my EBMC piece for this month.
On the knitting front, Sock #1 for the April Socks-from-Sash challenge is finished...
And...the Wedding Shawl is at 18/25 pattern repeats...
So I'm linking to WIP Wednesday over at The Needle and Thread Network...and starting shawl pattern repeat #19.
Have a great rest of the week!
Thank goodness you got there in the end. I love the way that the colour shift spirals up the leg of the sock.
I often leave the feed dogs up... with my free motion foot...
alls well that ends well.
Post a Comment