Thursday, February 19, 2015

Unexpected Company

Those of you, Gentle Readers, who follow me on Facebook, will already know that late Saturday evening, a Mack Truck (R) drove through my bedroom wall and broadsided me.

Well, that's what it felt like, anyway -- with apologies to the good folks at Mack whose trucks undoubtedly have better things to do!

After the fever and aches subsided somewhat -- on Monday morning -- I took a shower and finally looked at myself in the mirror.  AAAACK!  I didn't yet know what it was, but my face looked like one of those truck tires had rolled over it.

Seriously, I still felt pretty sick but Monday was Family Day here in Alberta, and I knew the doc's office and walk-in clinic would be closed and I decided to stay in bed rather than drive 1/2 hour to sit in Emerg at the Lacombe Hospital for an indefinite time, feeling more and more miserable.

By the time I saw a doctor it was Tuesday afternoon at the walk-in (my doc was booked) and he sent me off to Emerg for blood tests and the start of a series of IV antibiotic.  Diagnosis: erysipelas -- of unknown origin (the blood cultures will reveal more next week).   By yesterday afternoon I'd driven twice more to and from town, and had a new house-guest, staying on till at least Tuesday.

May I introduce...

Miss Ivy Pump -- and her Peeps!

The little IV bag holds 3 doses of antibiotic, and is programmed to inject one every 8 hours.  In between, I receive 2 ml. fluid per hour just to KVO (Keep Vein Open).

The Peeps tell me the pump is working, and are pretty quiet most of the time, but when a dose is going through, their incessant "peep, peep, peep" for about a half hour is a bit nerve-wracking -- especially at mid-night!

Ah well; it could be worse!  The stuff is working, my face is improving, my fever's gone and my appetite, though small, is slowly returning.  I can enjoy my coffee again (when I was really out of it I had no taste for either coffee or tea -- just water, hot or cold, with lemon.  Go figure.)

A friend who is a retired RN came over last evening, helped me haul a few groceries (bought before IV) and the box of pre-mixed med packs into the house, put things away, did my over-due stack of dishes (I am my usual dishwasher -- 1952 model.)  and helped me get out of my town clothes and into pyjamas.  I hope she can come back this afternoon when the Home Care Nurse is here, as the HCN will be showing me how to change the bags and reprogram the pump for the next 3 doses.  I may have to drive into Stettler tomorrow (weather permitting) for re-assessment, but I get a reprieve today which is great because after the last 4 days, I'm pretty beat.

I've been ordered to rest.  My next-door neighbour is on tap for snow and/or ice removal on my walks (we've had some freezing rain lately and snow is forecast for tomorrow).  Good job I did all the laundry on Monday (B4IV).  

Though I can't use my sewdio (too much up and down etc.), I can read, nap, hand quilt and knit.  I've made great progress on my socks for the Socks-from-Stash February Challenge on Ravelry (use the brightest yarn in your stash) and should actually finish on time, all being well.  Here's what they looked like on Saturday (B4MackTruck), getting ready to cast on #2:

Pattern: my own Plain Vanilla Socks recipe
Yarn: ONline Supersocke 4-fach Neon-color
Colour #1721

I didn't get that second sock cast on till Tuesday afternoon while waiting to see a doctor, but I'm already on the heel flap and should finish this pair on time.  A plus?  The colours sure make me smile!

When I'm rested enough, I'll catch up on my newest knitting project, which I've parcelled into 6 rows a day (and I need to do 18 to make up for Tues, Weds, and today) -- a wedding prayer shawl for a young woman at church, being married in mid-June:

Pattern: Kimono Shawl by Cheryl Oberle
from her book Folk Shawls: 25 Knitting Patterns and Tales
from Around the World,
Interweave Press, April 2000
Yarn: Misti Alpaca Lace 2-ply (aka Lace Canada)

And then there's MOB, which needs its stitching for yesterday and today.  And EB's Master Class February assignment?  Well...if I don't get to the second "birds" option before the month-end deadline, I'll send her what I've done so far on the first, and await her always-useful critique.  If she's anything, she's understanding and eminently fair.  :-)

Do nothing?!  Not bloomin' likely!  BUT...all I do will be far more relaxing than thumb-twiddling.  

Without textile therapy, I'd have been shipped off to the Funny Farm years ago!

Thanks to those of you who've recently started following this blog.

Thanks to all of you who follow on Facebook and have sent me so many prayers, good wishes and loving thoughts across cyberspace the past few days.

As I rest and heal, may you be safe, warm (or cool!), healthy and happy, wherever you are!



Cathy Tomm said...

Oh dear. So sorry you are so sick. Sounds like you are a bit better. I love those socks you are working on, my kind of bright colours.

Christine Staver said...

Margaret, oh my goodness that is terrible. Glad the antibiotics are working. Hope you get back to normal soon.

elle said...

Margaret! I hope you got that truck's license number. Please take care and yes, stay out of the funny farm, fabric therapy as necessary!!! Bless you!

Kathie Briggs said...

Oh Margaret, I am so sorry you have this awful illness. I know its hard for you to do nothing but please get as much rest as you can and know that prayers are being said for you.

Pat said...

What a horrid time you have had. I hope you are feeling much better now.

rtquilter said...

Gosh, Margaret, this is awful!!! Please DO do as you are told so you actually recover fully and don't relapse. This is no joke at all. I shall be thinking of you and hoping for MUCH better news VERY soon. Take care!

Maggi said...

That sounds terrible. I do hope that you are recovering well. Love the socks.

Judy Warner said...

You have me reading Facebook to keep up with your healing! No one else has managed that. Rest and knit would be the guiding words for your days.
Take care,

Lesley Turner said...

Oh Margaret, I'm so sorry to hear you have not been well. Good to hear you are being kind to yourself as your body works through whatever it has. You are so right about textile therapy. All the best.