And a couple of detail shots:
|Beading on the top left
|Quilting in the grass and trees
Hmmm. Somehow, it needed a binding rather than an envelope. A very narrow binding -- to finish it but not detract. Hmmm...
I turned to an article from American Quilter magazine, the Winter 2006 edition, which was part of a treasure trove of old quilting magazines I bought at my local thrift shop a few months back. In it is an article by Marci Baker, entitled "A Slim Finish: Narrow Bindings for Miniatures and Small Projects". I decided on a 1/8" (!) mitred binding in a 'wood grain' fabric from my stash. (I bought the balance of a bolt of this stuff a few years ago and have had multiple uses for it. I have no idea what I'll do when I run out of it!)
Ms. Baker's directions and the accompanying photos were clear and well done, so even though I'm not fond of fiddly, finicky work, I got the binding on with a minimum of fuss:
After using the usual 1/4" seam, I had to trim and grade the seam allowances down by at least 50% to enable me to roll the binding (1.25" wide, folded in half before applying) over to the back side to stitch down. Using a tip from Ann Petersen, my Craftsy tutor for "Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine", I then took my fine, small scissors and trimmed the batting around the corners to further reduce the bulk.
My task this afternoon is to hand-stitch the binding to the back. As I work, I'm listening to CBC 2 'Shift'...and taking inspiration from Judith Martin, who earlier today wrote THIS...and I'm linking up with Nina-Marie and the gang for Off the Wall Friday.
Blessings for a peaceful start to your weekend, too. :-)